- Secure the area: Your first step after a window has broken is to cordon off the area with the broken glass. Assess how big of a cleanup area you have by looking for glass shards on the floor, behind furniture and on top of surfaces. Make sure everyone is aware of the broken window and the area where the broken glass has spilled. You’ll want to make sure no one accidentally steps on any broken glass and gets hurt.
- Inspect the window: How badly is the window broken? Is it cracked, completely shattered or just partially broken? Take time to inspect the window frame and pane to see if it is stable, and press gently on the glass to ensure it is not loose enough to fall out. Once you’re certain that the window glass is stable as is and no more glass will fall out, call a local glass repair company to get the window fixed as quickly as possible.
- Protect yourself: While you’re waiting for window repair in Denver, CO, you’ll want to clean up the glass that has broken and fallen out. You’ll want to wear heavy gloves and closed-toed shoes. Place the glass in double-bagged trash bags and take them to the garbage immediately.
- Clean up the glass: On any hard surfaces where the glass has fallen, sweep it up and then vacuum slowly. This will ensure you don’t scratch the floors with glass shards. If the window broke on carpet, pick up the pieces of glass that you can see, and then vacuum the carpet. You can agitate the carpet with a brush to bring up smaller glass pieces. Using tape afterwards will also pick up fine glass shards, and this is a good method to employ even after vacuuming.
- Secure the broken window: Now that the area is safe, it’s time to secure the broken window. If the window is just cracked, use tape on both sides of the window along the crack to secure it from further cracking or from falling out completely. If there are small holes in the glass or tiny pieces of glass missing, you can patch this with clear nail polish applied in layers, allowing it to dry between coats. If the window has a large hole, use plastic or a piece of plywood to cover the gap or the entire window. This can be secured to the window frame and will protect you from the elements until you can get the window repaired.
fast glass | highlands ranch glass & window company
check out our latest news below
A broken window is a major inconvenience that can be the result of a number of causes, and between the mess of broken glass and the worry that insects, the elements and intruders may take advantage of the problem, you don’t want to wait too long before getting the help you need. While you are waiting for professional window repair in Denver, CO, here are some tips to give you a quick fix:
Tom. I'm the owner. Glass and Windows are what I do. Enjoy!